- Dr G Francis (Support Group Chair)
- Dr R Williams (LMC Chair)
- Dr B Quinn (LMC Vice Chair)
- Dr A Adegoke (LMC Hon Sec)
- Dr M Syed
- Dr M Smethurst
The Local Medical Committee is a membership organisation which exists to provide support, to inform and to represent its members. The Support Committee is a sub-committee of the LMC and it usually meets quarterly.
- support to any individual Wirral GP, partner or salaried
- support to practices
- support to groups of practices
The scope of support may include
- health (physical, psychological, addiction, and stress/ burnout)
- disputes (with partners, with Consortia, with the CCG, with the Trust etc)
- CPD/ appraisal/ revalidation
- Implementing new initiatives
Access to support may be
- via the LMC office
- via the Chair or Secretary
- via a GP Support Group member – the member will inform the LMC office administrator that they are engaging in a support issue and either or both of the LMC Officers may be made aware, with the doctor’s consent. Guidance may be sought from the LMC officers throughout the process, respecting confidentiality where requested by the constituent.
- via any GP LMC member – the member will inform the LMC office administrator that they are engaging in a support issue and either or both of the LMC Officers may be made aware, with the doctor’s consent. Again, guidance may be sought from the LMC officers throughout the process, respecting confidentiality where requested by the constituent.
Support issues will not be discussed in open LMC meetings unless the GP being supported has given consent. Exceptionally, regardless of consent, matters of process may have to be shared with the LMC in extreme situations e.g. if the LMC is threatened by legal action.
A major aspect of the Support Group’s work is to provide support for GPs in difficulty and in particular for those GPs who may find themselves subject to a Performance Review by NHSE. This might arise from a patient or colleague complaint or even as a result of an issue highlighted during a CQC inspection. The role of a support group member in Performance issues is as a ‘trusted friend’ – we cannot be experts but should be able to guide colleagues as to how they can navigate the Performance Procedures (PAG and PLDP). Performance Procedures can be intimidating and so early support from LMC from the start of the process would be advisable. If a doctor would like support, the LMC office should be contacted in the first instance and then the office administrator will direct the doctor to make an initial contact with their chosen Support Group member. Strict confidentiality is respected and no details would be disclosed without the doctor’s consent.
The Performance Procedures are governed by National Regulations for the two committees (PAG and PDLP). Any GP who is undergoing Performance Procedures should familiarise themselves with these regulations and ensure that the correct process is being followed by NHSE locally.
We hope that you will feel able to contact us if you are struggling with any of the issues mentioned above. We can provide a listening ear, some mentoring and also some knowledge of other resources to which we may be able to direct you. If we can’t help, we’ll find someone who can.
Please contact the Chair of the Support Group for more information if required, currently Dr Gillian Francis from Spital Surgery, mobile 07845 560050 or surgery 0151 334 4019.